Disclaimer: If you are easily offended by sheer honesty, or you think me having my own opinions is "being negative", then this is not the place for you, and I suggest you leave and head elsewhere. I call a spade a spade, and I don't sugarcoat anything.

Friday, October 17, 2008

Halloween Stories

I have decided since it is that time of year to share creepy stories and all, I thought I would share some of the most unusual experiences of my own life. I've had some past encounters with the unusual. We once lived in a house that was actually built on an Indian burial ground, and everyone knows how those areas can be some of the most haunted areas in the country. While we lived there, some very unusual things used to happen. I was about 6 years old then and we were there for a good couple of years. Every night ma used to say she would hear footsteps going up and down the stairs late at night when no one would be up. Sometimes she would hear what sounded like the rattling of chains. I never heard them at all myself because I was always asleep at the time she claimed to hear these things.

One of my first encounters with these ghosts came one morning when I woke up. Well, I wasn't fully awake, I was in that gray area between being fully asleep and waking up. I was sort of awake, but my eyes were not yet opened. Suddenly I felt something shoot out from under my pillow. It felt like a couple of fingers rubbing me on the back of my neck! At the very first instant I thought it was my pa. He used to have to get up early to go to work and sometimes he would come into my bedroom to say goodbye. He never did it that way though!! And I thought maybe he was playing a trick on me. I opened my eyes and looked and he was not in there. Meanwhile this thing kept rubbing the back of my neck. I looked around my bed and no one was in there with me! I lifted my back up off the bed thinking it was maybe a mouse or something, and it would scurry out and off the bed and get lost in the room somewhere, but nothing happened, and I could still feel those fingers rubbing me! So I sat up and screamed at the top of my lungs and my pa came rushing in. I was still screaming! After I had calmed a bit, pa asked me what was wrong and I told him I felt something touching me on the back of my neck. He looked, lifted my pillow up and saw nothing at all. I never did encounter that "thing" again!

While we were living there, I would never make my usual midnight "trips" without my ma or pa being beside me. One night though, deep in the middle of the night, I decided to try and brave it myself. That was unusual for me at that age in that house. I got to the one and only restroom in that house, turned on the light and closed the door. While I was in there I heard what sounded like footsteps with chains rattling right outside the door. They were very loud and clear, as if hearing someone in men's dress shoes walking on a bare floor, with chains strapped to their legs. I knew it wasn't pa or ma!! But whatever it was, sounded like it was pacing right outside the door. I thought it was going to come in and get me so I started screaming again at the top of my lungs!!! I know, I was a silly kid, but what else is a 6-year old going to think? Back then, kids that age were nothing like they are today. Anyway, my pa rushed down the stairs to "rescue" me and escort me back up to my room.

My most recent encounter with the unusual was when I was much older and better able to handle it. But it wasn't like hearing people who were not there walking around outside your bedroom. This encounter started with something as innocent as a balloon. My ma lived in this little old mobile home at that time. A friend of her's from her workplace gave her a balloon for Valentine's Day. It was just a regular, heart-shaped mylar balloon filled with helium. The funny thing about this balloon, I'd swear it had a mind of it's own!! Under it's own power, it would move from one end of the house to another. No vents were open, no windows, nothing. And that crazy balloon would start off in the kitchen, at one end of the house, it would crawl along the ceiling. And you'd swear I was lying, but when it came to the archway between the kitchen and the living room, it would duck down just enough to go under the archway, and head into the living room, crawl along the ceiling, go down the hall toward where their office was, then it would come to the doorway to the office, it would duck down just enough to get into the office, stay in there for a while, and make it's own way out the same way it got in!! Then it would go back down the hall way and make it's own way back to the kitchen only to repeat the same actions again! I swear I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't seen it do all this with my own eyes!! But there it was, doing it while I was there!! I joked to ma it looked like she had a new pet!!

Well anyway, those are my own personal ghost stories, believe them or not.

No comments: